My blog has moved!
You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit redirectLink" href='http://chateauandbungalow.wordpress.com/'> http://chateauandbungalow.wordpress.com and update your bookmarks.
	
	 
	

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Easy Party Decorations

On Saturday night I had the pleasure of attending the Buttonwoods Park Zoo fundraiser, Wild Night at the Zoo. I was going to the event to support this fabulous little zoo in New Bedford, MA that I frequent with my children and also support my very good friend who is the executive director there. I had no intention of doing a story about it, but there were some very simple, fail proof party decor ideas that I thought you would all enjoy. That being said, I apologize that the pictures aren't as clear as I'd like, but I only I had my iphone on me since I wasn't planning on taking pictures. The first thing that struck us (me and my highly critical counterparts) was the amazing plants! Famed horticulturalist David Haskell provided brilliant jasmine, butterfly bush, agapanthus and more planted in oversized pots at the entry and along the paths and tent.
This burlap fabric hung with metal clips and wrapped with raffia is so simple it seems like an obvious thing to do, but we often over complicate things and miss the beauty in simplicity. While it was used here for a safari theme, it could easily work for a beach or harvest theme too. And you could add a little more interest by using shells or fruits tied in with the raffia.
It seems that flag banners are all the rage these days, but if you are like me, you hate buying something that you'll only use once or twice a year, and while I've even contemplated sewing one for my daughter's room for a more permant installation, I just can't seem to bring myself to do it because it seems like such a big task. I thought this DIY flag banner was brilliant. Simply fold napkins over a string and use clothespins to secure them. Wouldn't this be adorable with red, white, and blue patterned napkins for your July 4th cookout?



Besides these great ideas, the Wild Night at the Zoo was a great event. I don't know what other event out there has two asian elephants as their official greeters when you walk in the door. Getting to pet them and get a picture with them was worth the price of admission alone. It was a fabulous night to enjoy great food, drink and music surrounded by the wonderful creatures who call it home. If you love in the area, mark your calendars for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment