My blog has moved!
You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit redirectLink" href='http://chateauandbungalow.wordpress.com/'> http://chateauandbungalow.wordpress.com and update your bookmarks.
	
	 
	

Friday, August 6, 2010

Newport Wedding

Today is my six year wedding anniversary so I thought it seemed appropriate to share a few pictures of our wedding. I LOVE weddings and so I certainly had a good time planning mine. While some people stress and stress over it, I would do it every year if I could just for the party planning aspect of it. Please pardon the picture quality as they are photos of photos. Six years ago I thought having all digital images made no sense and that I would somehow lose the quality of the images by not using film. Clearly, I'm a real forward thinker.
My husband works in the sailing industry and we live in Newport so we knew we wanted our wedding to be on or near the water. We decided to have our ceremony on an 80+ foot race boat called Carrera. My bridesmaids, parents and I boarded the boat at the Newport Shipyard and crossed Newport Harbor to Alofsin Pier at Fort Adams State Park where the groom, groomsmen and minister boarded the boat and the guests lined the pier.

As I've mentioned in previous posts I was determined to have peonies at my wedding, but because the florist wouldn't guarantee that they would look good in August we went with wide open garden roses for my bouquet (top) and centerpieces and ranunculus for the bridesmaids.

After the ceremony, the bridal party went for a cruise around the harbor to take photos. I loved that we were able to have an elegant wedding, but still be barefoot through the ceremony.
My husband and the groomsmen wore starfish boutonnieres that I made. I had been to so many weddings where the boutonnieres barely made it through the ceremony and looked limp by photo time so I knew I wanted something that we wouldn't have to worry about.
The cake was by Scrumptions and had white chocolate starfish and swiss dots. I brought them the ribbon to top the cake with to be sure it matched the other ribbon used throughout the reception.
The reception was at Eisenhower House, overlooking Narragansett Bay. I had custom fuschia silk overlays made for the tables and hung tiered paper lanterns from Pier 1 in various shades of pink and white throughout the party tent. The tent poles were wrapped in white fabric and tied with matching grosgrain ribbon and a large starfish.
The starfish topped menus were tucked into each napkin and wrapped in pink and green stripe grosgrain ribbon. Our programs were very similar, but were on popsicle sticks in case people needed to fan themselves (except that we ended up with an atypically cool day for August). My friends get a major shout out for helping me put together the 200 menus and programs the week of the wedding.
Perhaps one of the most important things that happened that day (other than marrying my fabulous hubby, of course) was that the cake company had asked Southern New England Weddings magazine to come photograph the cake. When they got there, they ended up photographing all of the decor and giving it editorial coverage on three pages in their 2005 edition.
While I've long been obsessed with home decor and party planning, getting editorial coverage for an event that I planned every last detail of myself was pretty exciting and gave me the confidence to believe that I could actually do this for a living, and inspired me to do the RISD Interior Design Certificate Program.
So hear we are six years, two kids and one house later. I still love looking at our pictures. It was such a fun day. I've been to a lot of weddings, and I have to say that the ones that are the most memorable are the ones where people really put their own personal spin on them. Believe me, my mother was having a heart attack for the eight months of planning a ceremony on a boat, but in the end, that's what people always still talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment