My blog has moved!
You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit redirectLink" href='http://chateauandbungalow.wordpress.com/'> http://chateauandbungalow.wordpress.com and update your bookmarks.
	
	 
	

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Library of Design

Over the past few months, my son and I have made a ritual of going to the library of every 3 weeks to pick out new books (usually of the firetruck nature) and a DVD, but rarely have I taken a look anywhere else in the library. I don't know why, but for a long time I felt like libraries were so out of touch...maybe because you can find just about anything you're looking for online now or maybe because Barnes & Noble and Borders have made going to the book store a full on afternoon's worth of activity where you can lounge in a club chair and sip your latte. I love hitting the bookstore and browsing through all the beautiful photos in the design and entertaining books, but it takes about 30 seconds before I've found 3 books I'm ready to take home for $100. I digress...anyhow, last night I was feeling brave since I only had one child in tow and decided to drag my son into the adult section of the library in search of the business books, and on the way a book about color on a return cart caught my eye which led me around the corner to rows and rows of books on architecture, antiques, furniture, indoor living spaces, outdoor living spaces, lighting, living rooms, kitchens, baths and the list goes on and on. I don't know why it caught me so much by surprise. It was only a few years ago when I was hitting the library to do research for my Interior Design classes at RISD, but I suddenly just wanted to sit there and peruse every book in the aisle. Alas, the 4 year old only allowed me to grab a few that I thought were interesting before we headed home. I chose The Outdoor Living Room by Martha Baker because I liked the cover, a book by one of my favorite design blogs, Apartment Therapy, and A Short Dictionary of Furniture by John Gloag because I love looking at old furniture sketches.What's my point? My point is that I hear people say over and over that they need inspiration for a space. I see people spending loads of money on books and looking at them a few times, only for them to collect dust for many years. There is an entire world of design at your finger tips in your local library. I have had a lot going on lately and have been a little less than inspired, but I realized last night that everything I need is right there. And as an added bonus it's free and better for than environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment